Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Mrs. Thompson's Class at WPES (3/9/16)

My visit with these adorable kids at White Plain Elementary didn't have much to do with my platform, but how could I not fill you in on the great time I had???

Until today, I didn't fully realize the impact that simply wearing my crown and sash can have on young kids. I heard a hushed whisper as I walked down the hallway, "It's a princess!" That moment was when it hit me that these visits can truly make a child's day. Before I cracked open a book; before I uttered a syllable; before I even waved hello, these kids smiled just because I was there. My crown and sash give me a power and responsibility which I will never again underestimate.

Once I got to Mrs. Thompson's first grade class, I quickly realized that it is full of well-behaved and inquisitive young minds! I wanted to make sure they got to hear me read some books they'd never heard of before, so I brought two of my favorites from when I was their age (way back when). These included "Go Away, Big Green Monster!" and "Go, Dog, Go!" As you can tell from the titles, I enjoyed lots of exclaiming and action, which is why I thought these little ones might, too.

As much as I love promoting STEM, it's great to go back to the basics of reading, since there would be no science, technology, engineering, or math without reading. Soon, I plan to combine the two by coming up with my own short story, featuring my trusty sidekick Blossom, to read to classrooms just like this one. By creating this new book, I hope to inspire reading-based and STEM-based creativity in young minds.

I'll be back, Mrs. Thompson's class, with my own storybook to share!

-A. Judge

No comments:

Post a Comment